National Finals

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: National Finals

Post by maddog on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 am

Kimyasimya wrote:
*Alex wrote:Sanremo's a big week long debacle we're best off just watching the last two shows, cause Italy may pick from the Newcomers section or they'll go for someone better known, and if it's someone I recognize and like I will probably cry from happiness.
I figured as much... but, sadly, I desperately need to practise my Italian and stay in touch with at least some Italian music/culture... I'd be disappointed if I missed it.

Also I never really thought much of countries like Estonia or Iceland or Malta but they're pretty serious contenders and have a serious following, and I think I might tune in to one of their NFs to see what they're about.
I found the best way to immerse yourself is to watch any and every NF that you can. The bad makes you appreciate the good even more. That is assuming you have decent streams where you live (dangerrwhale!). You get so many different languages to your ears

But switching from Melfest to DMGP in a short space of time is a shock to the ears.

There are lots of changed formats this year so it will be interesting to see what happens.
maddog
Admin

View user profile http://themaddogprincess.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danger Whale on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 am

The bad makes you appreciate the good even more. That is assuming you have decent streams where you live (dangerrwhale!). You get so many different languages to your ears
So true. The MF stream is crap over here in California. As of last year, I refuse to watch it live. One of the reasons why I enjoy Eesti Laul, DMGP, and etc is that their streams are perfect! No rotating green circles of buffrar!
Danger Whale

View user profile http://dangerrwhale.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkchiffon on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:31 am

maddog wrote:There are lots of changed formats this year so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Lithuania's format change is the most interesting to me. Their pool of artists is going to be narrowed down through a 5-episode covers phase, and only 6 will proceed to the final episodes in which they compete based on their entries. Azerbaijan does something like this, right? For those of you who have watched it, how does it work? The main thing that makes me apprehensive about this process is the possibility (depending on what kind of independent promotion is allowed to occur before the final phase of the series) that viewers will not have heard an artist's entry at all until they've already been voted into the final 6, and some massive letdowns could slip through. But, on the other hand, I understand what the benefits may be (a piece of cardboard like Andrius Pojavis wouldn't last a single episode in that environment, for instance), and I suppose once that part of the series is over, the last few episodes will just be like a normal small NF.
pinkchiffon
Admin

View user profile http://shipmewithshipsi.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maddog on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:36 pm

pinkchiffon wrote:
maddog wrote:There are lots of changed formats this year so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Lithuania's format change is the most interesting to me. Their pool of artists is going to be narrowed down through a 5-episode covers phase, and only 6 will proceed to the final episodes in which they compete based on their entries. Azerbaijan does something like this, right? For those of you who have watched it, how does it work? The main thing that makes me apprehensive about this process is the possibility (depending on what kind of independent promotion is allowed to occur before the final phase of the series) that viewers will not have heard an artist's entry at all until they've already been voted into the final 6, and some massive letdowns could slip through. But, on the other hand, I understand what the benefits may be (a piece of cardboard like Andrius Pojavis wouldn't last a single episode in that environment, for instance), and I suppose once that part of the series is over, the last few episodes will just be like a normal small NF.
I'm not 100% on the Azeri NF, but I think it works over a very very long period of time, having a week/day dedicated to popular music, eurovision covers, azeri music etc. But yeah, the actual entries are not revealed until further down the line. It's quite confusing and most likely, I got it wrong. I hope someone can correct me.
maddog
Admin

View user profile http://themaddogprincess.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkchiffon on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 am

Also, I've seen many people and news sites making a big deal about the fact that unpaired performers and composers can enter separately. I looked through the rules, which isn't easy considering I don't really speak Lithuanian, but it looks like entrants can definitely specify a partnership between themselves and an artist/song in the other category. I know that performers and composers were allowed to enter separately last year (not sure about previous years), and while there was admittedly a pileup of Lietuvos Balsas spawn singing a bunch of crap written by two or three tyrannical composers, there were also self-written songs and who knows what else. So if you see any alarmism about that, I wouldn't run with it, because I really don't think it's going to result in a complete lack of self-written songs or songs that artists have planned with their composers beforehand.

I've also heard that Moldova had a similar system for entries this year, and obviously no harm was done. Wink
pinkchiffon
Admin

View user profile http://shipmewithshipsi.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iiva on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 am

I got the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet from the plane last weekend and it's got some news about Mello. Apparently Oscar Zia who was a backing singer in Jalla Dansa Sawa has been okayed to compete, so he's the second confirmed participant we know, the first being Eko who won the talent competition Svensktoppen. Fun fact: Zia is younger than me. Ouch.

Also, apparently Eddie Razaz (among others) has sent in a song, so who knows, maybe he'll become one of the oh-so-many artists to try out twice or more times in MF.
iiva

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2